Dermal Filler Aftercare Advice
In this blog, you'll find our general helpful aftercare instructions for having dermal filler treatments. Remember, these are general guidelines only - your practitioner will let you know if there are any additional instructions specific to your treatment that you should keep in mind.
- Immediately after the treatment, you might notice some temporary redness, swelling and bruising at or around the injection site. This is common.
- These effects typically resolve within 2-3 days (although treatments to the lips may result in swelling lasting up to 7 days).
- A cool compresses or an ice packs (on for 20 minutes per hour) for 4-6 hours post injections can help reduce the redness and swelling and helps to minimize any bruising.
- The use of Arnica tablets or gel may be useful for bruising.
- If redness and swelling persist beyond 3 days, becomes worse or is accompanied by other symptoms, such as increased pain or fever, please you should contact us straight away.
- You should avoid exposing the treated area to intense heat (from the sun, steam rooms/saunas, tanning beds etc.) or manipulation (facials, massages, waxing, facial aesthetic treatments) for 2 weeks post-treatment.
- After dermal fillers, you must avoid lasers to the treatment area for 4 weeks
- Sometimes, the injection areas can seem overly filled or "lop-sided" while swelling is present. We'll have a review with you 3-4 weeks post treatment or when all of the swelling has subsided, to make sure you're satisfied with your results.
- If you have had a previous outbreak of facial cold sores, the injection of dermal filler can lead to a recurrence. Cold sore history should be discussed prior to treatment and the use of anti-viral medication prior to injections may be helpful. New cold sore eruptions are also possible, even if you have not experienced an outbreak before. Please ley us know if any sores or lesions that occur in or around the treatment area, so that early intervention and treatment can be used to minimize discomfort and complications.
- Make sure you avoid taking aspirin, St John's Wort, high dose vitamin E and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID'S) medications such as Nurofen or ibuprofen, for one week following treatment. These medications may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
- Avoid exercise and alcohol for 24 hours post treatment.
Private Harley Street Clinic is a doctor-led non-surgical aesthetics clinic based in Marylebone, London, offering Dermal Filler injection consultations. Book a Dermal Filler consultation appointment in Marylebone, London today, or contact our helpful staff if you have any questions for us. Our team are specialists in injectables - so if you're looking for 'Fillers Treatments Near Me' contact Private Harley Street Clinic. Our central London Clinic is 5 minutes walk from Edgeware Road and Marylebone Tube Stations. Filler Consultation walk in appointments in London may also be available.